6.12.2012

a day of remembering.

Memorial day for my family was spent just as most of you most likely spent yours. With loved ones, looking back and remembering those that have gone on before us. In the morning I reminisced on the Baumanns in Switzerland and Germany with my sweetheart Grandpa and then sat in the kitchen with my Grandma looking through her scrapbooks and watching as her memories filled her voice with joy and left a lasting smile on her face. I will never forget the tender moments I spent this day with my family, most especially with my grandparents as they passed on their love for their parents and grandparents.

Both of these pictures are my dads mom. such an amazingly strong and beautiful woman. She is one of my hero's and I sure do hope I can be like her when I grow up!
 My family, Grandma and Grandpa and the Jamison clan (my dad's sister's family) spent the afternoon and early evening visiting the small cemeteries in Smithfield, Lewiston and Providence. It was absolutely freezing that day, kind of ironic since we spent the day looking at graves. Anywho...here we are standing behind grandma and grandpa's headstone. We are all so very glad that it is still just a place holder and that the two lovely people whose names are on the stone were there with us and very much alive! We weren't so sure about this picture but grandma insisted haha no one says no to grandma!







grandma is a Jackson. This picture doesn't show much but I had to capture the moment as a mother so lovingly look on as her son made sure that the flowers would stay standing for as long as possible. I loved standing there with her as she showed us her name on the back of the stone so proudly and made sure to point out that Cap and Chief made it on there as well. Cap and Chief were Great Grandpa Jackson's pulling horses that were a big part of the family. I wish I had pictures of them to show how huge and beautiful they were. All us grandkids have grown up watching his pulling matches on home video and admiring his trophy room. 



My middle name, Mae comes from Grandpa's mother Lillie Mae. She passed away when he was really young but his love for her is astounding. He told us all about her struggles with cancer with tears in his eyes, which of course made it hard for us Bauman criers to keep our eyes completely dry. The uncontrollable teary eyes runs in the Bauman genes, we jokingly call it the Bauman boobs syndrome. Of course that joke can be easily misinterpreted....it has to do with crying and that is it. Honest! I am pretty honored to be named after such a strong woman. You better believe that her name will be given to one of my future (verrry future) little girls. 












we learned that our Great Great Great Great Grandpa Merrill came across the plains pushing a handcart and then served as an apostle to Brigham Young. Courtney Brynn says that is proof I was supposed to come be a Cougar with her. Maybe she is right. Either way...I has an amazing day full of family history. Sure do love my fam damily!




1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I totally remember the trophy room! We used to always go up there and sneak around, remember that? I miss that farm!!! And it's totally a Bauman boob syndrome...especially when grandpa starts to cry....gets me every time!!!! hahaha I love this post, did I already say that?

    ReplyDelete